Date: 25 June 2014
Venue: London ExCel Conference and Exhibition Centre
SMMT's 8th Meet the Buyer event will be in partnership with UKTI’s Automotive Investment Organisation
SMMT is committed to improving the competitiveness of the nation’s supply base and increasing the level of local commodity sourcing. The Society facilitates this through a number of activities including regular ‘Meet the Buyer’ events, designed to provide a platform to build new and strengthen existing business relationships. This year’s event will look to support purchasing professionals across the UK as well as those overseas looking to source from UK based suppliers.
SMMT working with UKTI’s Automotive Investment Organisation (AIO) will jointly host an event in 2014 to support the sourcing activities of both UK and non UK based purchasing organisations, and encourage inward investment in processes not currently supported in the UK. The directors of purchasing for all of the OEMs have committed to attend with their teams.
The events aim to match OEM and tier 1 buyers to suitable suppliers based on the buyer’s sourcing requirements. Past Meet the Buyer events have been heavily focused on increasing sourcing from UK based companies and have all received good feedback and continuously receive considerable interest from both buyers and suppliers to participate year after year.
SMMT has hosted seven Meet the Buyer events between 2010 and 2013 which has helped to facilitate over 1,100 one-to-one meetings with over 500 individuals representing over 340 unique companies from OEMs and tier one and two suppliers.
SMMT uses the Automotive Supplier Finder (ASF) to source the companies that meet buyer demand and are subsequently invited to Meet the Buyer events.
8.30 - 9.30am – Registration and refreshments
9.30 - 10.30am - Presentations as follows
Welcome and Introductions – Mike Hawes, Chief Executive, SMMT
AIO – Joe Greenwell, AIO
Minister welcome - TBC
Other speakers to be confirmed
Arrangements for the day – SMMT
11.00am - 5pm - One-to-one meetings, facilitated and free networking with lunch
Recommending suppliers and buyers
If you have contacts that may be interested in participating in the event this year please determine if their primary interest is as a buyer or as a supplier. Supplier guests can be invited to the event and SMMT will issue interested delegates with details on how to register to attend, however please note that we cannot guarantee one to one appointments with buyers as these are at the buyer’s discretion. As a buyer, SMMT will speak with the purchasing contact in order to ensure they understand the process of collecting their demand list and will supply them with all relevant details to proceed.
All suppliers, including guests, will be asked to provide a short brief on their company and the capabilities so that SMMT can put those forward to participating buyers to select if they would like to pre schedule a meeting for the day. The profile will also be made available at the event for adhoc meeting requests.
Guests can attend for free but exhibition spaces are chargeable at SMMT member and non member rates. Stand allocation will be based on availability and suitability of the products/services offered and subject to terms and conditions set out in the booking form.
The process: Buyers
A legally vetted process drawn up by SMMT will be used to gather the necessary sourcing demand information from buyers. The Automotive Supplier Finder (ASF) database of product and service terms will be used to check for supplier capabilities against the buyer’s commodity demand list.
- SMMT ask for a list of the commodities and services from each buyer for what they are looking to source from within the UK.
- SMMT will then look for potential suitable suppliers which meet the criteria specified by the buyers for the commodities and services they are looking to source (ie quality standards, capability etc).
- SMMT will provide each buyer with a list of suitable suppliers to select which they would like SMMT to prearrange a one to one meeting with.
- SMMT will then send an invitation to each of those companies and arrange a series of one-to-one meetings throughout the day of the event
- On the day you will receive a schedule of the meetings and a booth at which to host these meetings.
- Additional meetings can be arranged on the day following an ‘additional meeting request’ procedure.
The process: Suppliers
- Expression of interest (EOI) to be completed by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and entitle the email “Meet the Buyer: Expression of Interest.” Once we know more details about the next event, we’ll email further information or complete the form online available here: Expression of Interest form.
- Review the latest commodity demand list which will be available about three months before the event. When it is released let us know what you can supply from this list to ensure we put your company details forward appropriately.
- Update the company profile in Automotive Supplier Finder using the profile editing tool herewww.autosupplierfinder.com/midedit. SMMT use the details you provide on your products and services to put together a list of the companies that can potentially supply against the demand lists provided by each of the buyers. It is important that you check we have the details of your capabilities.
0207 344 1611
0780 9522 180