Could your small business benefit from £1,000 to help it grow? Come to the launch on 7th March at The Forum, Hemel Hempstead, to find out more about Dacorum’s version of Dragon’s Den – Dacorum’s Den! You’ll hear more about what it is and how it works, get some tips on how to put together a winning application, meet the judges and hear from some of the previous winners about the difference it has made to their businesses. Please contact Lesley Crisp by email Lesley.email@example.com or 01442 531003 to reserve your place at the launch and/or register your interest.
Dacorum’s Den is the local version of the popular TV program Dragon’s Den. It is a grant giving initiative set up by the Economic Development Team at Dacorum Borough Council to help our local small businesses develop and grow.
Fully sponsored by local businesses, applications will be open from Thursday 7 March 2019 and the deadline is Friday 7 June 2019. This scheme is aimed at individuals and businesses with less than 20 employees and under £1m turnover, who have a great business idea or are keen to expand their business in Dacorum.
All businesses applying to Dacorum’s Den will meet with a member of the Economic Wellbeing team to receive business support regardless to the outcome of their application.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to put their ideas before a panel of judges led by Mike Penning MP who will hear their ideas and decide whether or not to award the grant.
This is the eighth year running Dacorum’s Den, which has seen £70,000 awarded to Dacorum businesses and has created 54 jobs within the borough. The judging day is Friday 5th July and the awards presentation will be on Friday 19th July 2019 at Little Hey Golf Club.
Mike Penning MP for Hemel Hempstead said: “I support this scheme entirely, it is not only supportive of the local economy, but it sees larger corporations enabling the growth of small businesses. Dacorum Borough Council provides such a great service to the businesses within our borough and this is just one of the initiatives they orchestrate.”
Councillor Graham Sutton, Portfolio Holder for Planning and Regeneration at Dacorum Borough Council said: “Dacorum’s Den is a fantastic opportunity for anyone with a business idea to get a helping hand into making it a reality. Our aim is to inspire people looking to start their own business or grow their small company to take part in this free scheme to help them explore their business potential as innovators and self-starters.”
Dacorum’s Den 2019 - Key Dates
Thursday 7th March 2019 – Launch & information session – 10am to 12.30pm at The Forum, Hemel Hempstead.
Friday 7thJune 2019 - Applications close at 7pm
Friday 5th July2019 - Shortlisted applicants present their idea to Dacorum’s Den panel
Friday 19th July 2019 - Awards Ceremony – Little Hey Golf Club
Terms & Conditions & Process
All applicants must:
1. Be either:
a. People wishing to start their business within Dacorum
b. Organisations already based in Dacorum
2. Be aged 18 or over and may be required to produce evidence of identity and age.
3. The grant amount requested may not exceed £1,000.
4. Applications will only be accepted from organisationswith less than 20 employees.
5. Applicant’s turnover must be less than £1 million per annum.
6. Businesses that have previously won a grant cannot apply.
7. Images and reference to website may be included.
8. A Business Plan must be included.
9. Entries which are illegible or incomplete will be invalid.
10. By entering, organisations agree to be bound by these terms and conditions.
11. The judging panel’s decision is finaland no correspondence will be entered into.
12. Businesses must demonstrate how the grant will make a difference to their business
13. Successful applications will be promoted on Dacorum Borough Council’s websites and applicants must be prepared to participate in other publicity if required, including events.
14. In the event of a grant being awarded, it will be paid 28 days from receipt of invoice.