Sherrards’ Litigation Department has been awarded “Client Choice Litigation Law Firm of the Year” by Corporate INTL magazine. This award follows hot on the heels of success earlier in the year, with the department also winning “Most Trusted Litigation Law Firm of the Year” in the ACQ Global Awards 2015, capping another successful double, having won both awards last year.
Managing Partner, Alasdair McMillin, comments, “It’s a great accolade for the firm and, in particular, for the Litigation Department. As a commercial property lawyer, I normally run a mile from litigation, but it is a huge source of comfort to know that, when our clients are in any difficulty, there is no better group of people that I would want protecting them. To see their professionalism and ability recognised like this is thrilling - even if they are litigators!”
Paul Marmor, Head of Litigation and Dispute Resolution at Sherrards, comments, “It’s the breadth of experience and calibre of talent that we have that really makes the difference at those key moments - like a tennis match between two top Grand Slam winners, it’s those few extra percentage points that lead to success. We also place great emphasis on the fact that we are a team, the core of which has been together for over ten years, so we can either operate as lone-wolves, in small groups or in a pack.”
Sherrards’ Litigation team provides a wide range of services, from international disputes, insolvency-related litigation and debt recovery to boardroom disputes and the world of property - and, more recently, a white-collar crime defence and advisory unit. Our cross-border work includes specialist operations in the USA, Russia, Europe and China, where the firm has cemented its connections with the recruitment of Xueying (Laurel) Zhang to head-up the firm’s China Desk.
Laurel Zhang: “As a Chinese specialist lawyer, I had a choice of firms at which to house my practice, but I chose Sherrards because the combination of their hands-on approach and international capability - be it in real estate, corporate transactions or litigation - made them a perfect fit.”
Facts about Litigation in the UK
· Over half of all matters heard in the Commercial Court of the High Court of Justice involves an overseas party, which is reflected in Sherrards’ experience
· The UK is seen by the international business community as one of the leading jurisdictions of choice for determining disputes, given the strength of the judiciary, the common-law system and the calibre of the legal profession
· The London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA) is one of the world’s leading centres of excellence for arbitration
· Sherrards’ Steven Loble is one of a handful of lawyers mentioned twice in one of the most prestigious legal directories, Chambers Global
· Sherrards’ Barney Laurence has been cited in Chambers for the second year running as a “lawyer to watch” and Paul Marmor is a “leading practitioner”. Other Litigation partners, Karen Dobson and Rachael McConaghie, have also been cited recently in the Legal 500, alongside Paul and Barney.
· Sherrards’ Litigation team contributed to the World Bank’s Doing Business Report, which grades every country in the world for the ease of doing business - the UK is ranked at number 6 in the world, with Singapore and New Zealand ranked at 1 and 2 respectively. Hannah Jones is accredited by the World Bank for her work.
· Paul Marmor is the co-chair of the International Bar Association Law Firm Management Committee Business Development Working Group, and is the chair of Legal Recruitment for the Alliott Group
· Gemma Newing’s posts on the Sherrards website on debt recovery and managing debt are among the firm’s most popular
· Sherrards’ White Collar Crime Unit was established in early 2015, assisting on the pursuit and defence of fraud-related matters and providing corporate Bribery Act advisory services under Simon Morgan, who came from a boutique firm with over 20 years’ experience