Connect St Albans Challenge: Dragons’ Apprentice 2012
Between September 2011 – March 2012 Connect St Albans are staging the Dragons’ Apprentice
with lower 6th students from schools and colleges within the district of St Albans, Harpenden and Hatfield.
Teams of students (the Apprentices) will be set a challenge to turn £100 into £1,000 for a local charity. The teams may do this in any way they choose as long as they prepare a clear plan stating what their business idea is and how they aim to reach their target. Sponsorship is only acceptable if it’s part of an overall event organised by the team.
Each team will have a business mentor (the Dragons). Each Dragon will provide support in the form of advice, and access to resources, to help their team achieve their business goal and funding target. All profits made by the teams will go directly to their allocated charity. At the awards event in March 2012 a panel of judges (SuperDragons) will evaluate the performance of each team and announce the results.
Business mentors (Dragons) what we’d like from you:
• Minimum 3 meetings with your team between September 2011 – February 2012 at a mutually convenient time/place. The first meeting to be at your offices
• Make every effort to include your team’s charity/voluntary group in early planning and activities
• Advice on marketing, finance, business planning, time management (appropriate to your team’s business idea)
• Encourage the involvement and support of your staff in the team’s work and the charity they’re supporting
• If appropriate make resources available to your team (design studios, photo copier, materials, premises etc.)
• Additional publicity for the challenge using your own internal and external channels of communication
• £50 investment in your team + participation fee by end September 2011
• Participation fee = £100 for businesses with <10 employees, £200 for businesses employing 10+
• Send a representative of your organisation to the launch event on Wednesday 21 September, 4.30 – 6.30pm at St Columba’s College
• Advise your team on the best way of presenting their results to a wider audience (money raised/how they did it/what they learned) through a poster or table display at the final awards event
• Attend the final awards event at the Weston Auditorium, University of Hertfordshire 21 March 2012
• Provide your logo + a single paragraph profiling your business to Penny by August 30 latest
• We recommend confirming your intention to participate, and acceptance of our terms, immediately as teams will be paired on a geographical and “first come, first served” basis.
For more information or to register your interest please contact Penny Mortimer, Project Mgr on 07887 895228 or email email@example.com